Shirin Polo is a glamorous Persian Sweet Rice . Shirin means sweet and Polo is rice in Farsi. The mild sweetness and the festive look of this rice makes it a perfect centerpiece at special occasions such as Nowruz (Persian New Year), weddings, or other special gatherings. There are many different recipes for Shirin Polo, some sweeter than others and some with more ingredients than others. Besides rice, the ingredients included in most recipes are candied citrus zest, thin strips of carrots and slivered almonds with more or less sugar depending on the recipe. I have only used some sugar to make my homemade candied citrus zest and this adds just a hint of sweetness to this saffron rice.
Rice: half a kilogram
Chicken: 800 gram
Butter: 2 tablespoons
Almond: 50 gram
Pistachio: 50 gram
Orange peel: 100 gram
Sugar: 4 tablespoons
Medium onion: 2 numbers
Saron: half a teaspoon
Salt and Pepper: necessary amount
How to prepare Shirin Poloo?
1. Soak rice in the water for two hours.
2. Wash chicken and patchy it.
3. Chop onions and fry them in the oil and wait until the colour of them come to be golden.
4. Fry the chicken in the onion and let the color of it change.
5. Add salt, pepper and one glass of hot water to the chicken.
6. Put the materials on the medium heat for 20 minutes. (If it was needed you can pour additional water to it either until the materials don’t burn.)
7. After about 20 minutes it must remain about half a glass of chicken water.
8. Bone Catch the chicken.
9. Boiling some sugar with a glass of water and add 2-3 spoons of butter, saron and some chicken water and rile them together very well.
10. From before soak pistachio and almond in the water.
11. Peeling their skin after pistachio and almond soaked very well.
12. Chop them in _ne shape.
13. Make the orange peel in slice shape and boil it in the water for some minutes.
14. Empty the bitter water of the orange peel (do this work for several times until orange peel doesn’t have the bitter taste).
15. Pour orange peel for one hour in the cold water (do this work for several times either).
16. At the end cook orange peel with 3 spoons of sugar and _nally empty its water.
17. Rinse rice.
18. Pour oil and little hot water at the bottom of the pot and add half of the rinsed rice to them. Strew parts of chicken on rice.
19. Pour rice on the chicken.
20. This is the time that you must pour half of orange peel, almond and pistachio on the rice and cover them all with rice.
21. Pour chicken water and sugar that they prepared before on all the rice.
22. Cover the door of the pot with the cloth and put it on the pot.
23. Give the heat to the pot for 30 minutes.
24. The food is preparing to serve.
25. Pour Shirin Polo in the dish.
26. Now mix remaining pistachio, almond, and orange peel together and cover Shirin Polo with this tasty mixture.
27. You can even don’t mix them together and pour each of them separately on the rice.
28. If you want you can add barberry and slices of cooked carrot to this mixture and decorate your food with them.